EDUCATIONIST MOVEMENT FOUNDATION – USA
BRAZILIAN PORTUGUESE LANGUAGE AND CULTURE PROGRAM
PORTUGUESE LITERACY PROGRAM – FROM Parents to Children. Recognized by AOTP. Support: BB Money Transfers-Bank of Brazil
PORTUGUESE LITERACY PROGRAM
From Parents to Children.
After school program – duration at least two hours weekly.
Program recognized by AOTP, backed up by the LDB, based on the Curriculum Frameworks and administration of the Provinha Brazil ( Brazil’s Assessment).
This project, first envisioned by Senator Cristovam Buarque and originated in the Brazilian Educational Movement, has been modified to assist children living in the United States. The purpose of the project is:
- To give children an opportunity to learn about the Portuguese language and Brazilian culture. It focuses on inclusion and finding methods that appeal to learners’ multiple intelligences.
- Recognition of teachers’ qualifications , as well as to inform educators and parents through seminars, workshops and conferences.
Services offered by the Foundation:
Educationist Movement Foundation in the United States.
EMF – USA
The Foundation is nonpartisan, nonprofit, and has no religious affiliation.
Educationist Team in the United States:
Arlete Falkowski, Antonio Massa, Síbia Nascimento, Newton Santos and Sueli Farelli.
Portuguese Literacy Centers’ locations and current Local Coordinators
Worcester, MA- Núcleo Geral do ME-USA, Arlete Falkowski, ,Saugus, MA-Rousimar Costa, Allston,MA-Laís de Oliveira e Paulo Gradaschi, Worcester,MA-Fabiana Garcia , New York,NY-Domício Coutinho, Stoughton,MA, Ana Cogui e Ana Vaz, Hartford,CT, Margareth Comenale, Farmington,CT, Silvana Cullen, Bridgeport,CT, Dalva Reis, Danbury, CT, Alessandra Reis, Framingham,MA, Lori Mills-Curan, and Larissa Sanches.
Lisboa, Portugal, Dra. Dhilma Freitas
In construction: London,UK, Abrir.org.uk, Dra. Ana Souza.
Áustria- ABRACE, Presid. Queila Rosa
President: Fernando Castro
Vice-President: Arlete Falkowski
Board Members: Edirson Paiva, Antonio Massa, Suely DiBara, Dione Santos, Célia Bianconi, Cristiane Soares, Sonia Reis, and Lori Mills-Curan.
Guidance on How to Establish a Portuguese literacy center
Each Portuguese Literacy Center is autonomous. and each center is responsible for becoming legally registered according to all applicable state laws. Therefore, proper legal registration is the sole responsibility of each Portuguese Literacy Center. Verification of legal registration must be communication to the Foundation prior to the start of classes. The Foundation has an educational link with the centers thus, it is the responsibility of the Foundation to guide and monitor academic planning exclusive to the Portuguese Literacy Program – from parents to children.
Meet with parents, and educators interested in teaching Portuguese and Brazilian culture within the region and schedule a meeting with the Foundation’s Director. Each region should:
- Research the number of interested parents.
- Research the number of children (ages 4 to 15 years old).
- Research possible locations for the operation of the center that can provide facilities appropriate to the age group of students e.g., children’s furniture etc.
- Establish a team of parents who would be willing to manage the local Portuguese Literacy Center…members of the Parent Council. A total of six people are needed.
Organizational Structure of the Portuguese Literacy Center.
- Center Coordinator
- Credentialed Instructor (M.Ed., MA, Literature or equivalent).
- A Parent Council (five parents, minimum).
- Location of the Center (Organization, Church, Public School, Day Care, University, Public Library, etc.).
Role and RESPONSIBILITIES OF MEMBERS of the Portuguese Literacy Center.
Center Coordinator: In addition to identifying and hiring a credentialed instructors, the Center Coordinator will inform new instructors of the following requirements:
- The CORI background check.
- First Aid, CPR courses, and on-line sexual abuse training (godsafeguarding).
In addition, the Center Coordinator will :
- Develop a rotation schedule of parents to work in the classroom as volunteer teacher assistants. Note: The whole class can only meet when there are two adults present in the class.
- Ensure proper presentation of all activities suggested in the planning of the Center.
- Transmit data about team members of the Parent Council Foundation, (name, address e-mail, telephone number).
- Maintain constant contact with the Director and Guidance Program Educationalist.
- Be present during the two hours of classes.
- Schedule and preside over meetings with parents, instructors as necessary.
- Write monetary grants
- Provide annual educational planning, suggestions and guidance on curriculum, pedagogical
- Conduct summative assessments of every six months to improve participation in workshops, and educational conferences, etc
Role and RESPONSIBILITIES OF MEMBERS of the Portuguese Literacy Center, Continued
Credentialed Center Instructor (M.Ed., MA, Literature or equivalent).
- Maintain on-line contact with the Program Director for ME-USA.
- Prepare the PA weekly, following the model / educationist profile and
- Observe the Educational Planning Program, designed for two hours weekly,
- Recruit five parent volunteers to assist in coordinating the Center: two Parent Council Members to manage donations/budget, one to volunteer as Secretary, and two volunteers to work in the Cultural and Recreational Sector. Encourage voluntary participation of parents in the classroom and in providing professional parent workshops.
Instructor’s Remuneration: Each Center Instructor’s salary is at the discretion of the Center Coordinator and the Board of Parents.
EDUCATIONIST MOVEMENT FOUNDATION IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
EMF – USA
AGENDA 2011 – 2012
III WORLD EDUCATIONIST CONFERENCE
III LITERACY WORKSHOP
I YOUTH EDUCATIONIST CONFERENCE
TRAINING FOR TEACHERS AND PARENTS
Children’s Day Celebration
EDUCATIONIST MOVEMENT FOUNDATION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA EMF – USA
WWW.EDUCACIONISTA.NING.COM – Network of educationists in the World.
SCHEDULE a meeting with us .
E-MAIL: [email protected]
CONTACT: ARLETE Falkowski – Director educationist literacy program – From Father to Son.
PHONE: (508) 728-8275
WORCESTER, MASSACHUSETTS – USA